Search This Blog

Friday, March 19, 2010

Against Better Judgement

The Boston Marathon is one of the most prestigious marathons in the world.  There are just a few ways one can get an official entry.  You can be fast.  If you're one of the elite marathoners in the world, the Boston Athletic Association will extend an invitation to you.  If you're a pretty fast runner you can qualify on time. I'd have to run faster than a 3 hour 20 minute qualifying race to be considered.  That will not happen.  Many people raise money for great and worthy causes and get entry through Team in Training or Dana Farber   Another way is the way I got my number.  I belong to a running club and each year my club gets a few qualifying exemptions.  I still had to pay the $250 entry fee, though.

Here's the problem.  Several weeks ago, during a long training run, I felt a twinge in my left Achilles tendon.  I didn't tear it, but it didn't feel right.  Later that day it was sore and inflamed.  Since then I've iced, stretched, took time off, cross-trained, gone to physical therapy, taken loads of ibuprofen, and have even applied essential oils in the hope that I can still run Boston.  With just a month to go, it's still unclear if I will be able to do it.  My training regimen has been compromised and I still can't run without some pain and inflammation.  No doubt the smartest thing I could do is not run.  Rest and recuperate.  But here's the thing, since moving to Connecticut it's unlikely that my Massachusetts running club will grant me another club exemption.  I can't transfer or defer my entry.  And I haven't fallen in love with marathons so much that I know I'll opt to train and run another.  This might be my only opportunity.

My options are to cease training, accept defeat, and live to run another day.  Or I could continue with my training, endure some pain and attempt to run Boston, knowing it might be possible that sometime during the run, I'll have to quit and register a DNF (Did Not Finish).  Or make my way 26.2 miles come hell or high water, or ruptured Achilles no matter how long it takes me.  I don't like any of those choices, so against my better judgement, as of this moment, I plan on running Boston, albeit likely not at the same goal pace I'd originally intended.  I will take it one run at a time.  This weekend I am supposed to run 13-15 miles.  I am icing my Achilles even now as I type.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, man, I, for one, am pretty proud of you... I'd take a DNF over a DNS (Did Not Start) anytime. But be careful! Now go get 'em!

"You're Wudy the Wabbit! Wudy the Wabbit!"

Unknown said...

eeesh.